Travelling the Gibb River Road in 2020
Are you planning to travel the Gibb River Road in 2020, when border and travel restrictions are relaxed?
There are some important things you need to know before attempting to travel along the Kimberley's Gibb River Road this dry season.
For a variety of reasons, some accommodation and services have chosen to remain closed until after the next wet season, with re-opening expected in April 2021.
- Imintji Roadhouse (Store & Fuel - Closed)
- Mt Barnett Roadhouse (Store & Fuel - Closed)
- Manning River (Closed for Camping - Day Use Only)
- Home Valley Station (Closed)
- El Questro Wilderness Park & Emma Gorge (Closed)
- Mornington Wilderness Camp (Closed)
- Drysdale River Station (Currently Closed)
- Ellenbrae Station (Currently Closed)
Locations that are open for camping only: (We recommend calling ahead to check access)
- Mt Hart Homestead
- Mt Elizabeth Station
- Over The Range Tyre & Mechanical Repairs - open on Monday to Saturday 9.00am to 2.00pm from 18 May 2020, until further advised.
If you decide to travel, you will need to be completely self sufficient in camping equipment, food and fuel.
Kimberley national parks and campgrounds will be open from Monday 18 May 2020, with the exception of Silent Grove/Bell Gorge campground, which is undergoing maintenance works and will be open in early June.
Mitchell Plateau including Mitchell Falls and Mitchell River National Park will also remain closed.
It is further advised that campers in WA Parks need to ensure they are self-sufficient and able to maintain good personal hygiene by carrying their own hand washing equipment and materials. People are urged to continue to observe social distancing requirements at campgrounds. The four square metres of space per person rule, with particular attention to shared facilities and areas such as ablutions, sheltered barbecues and other communal areas, must be followed.
Information is changing frequently. Check our Facebook page for updates.
(Posted 19 May 2020)